Saturday, August 15, 2009

Winter fun

"You've got the camera out? Again? Here, let me give you my best 'I am Brumby, wild and free pose..." - Darcy in his lovely new rug (not white for long, I fear...)

Darce and I have been enjoying winter the past few days, with some very easy work, light trotting and battle of wills involving walking over trotting poles (I find he enjoys launching over all three, as opposed to walk sedately and using his legs and bottom properly).A rather damp Darcy after our wait for the rain to stop didn't work so well...

There's something almost romantic about riding in the rain with no one around, simply he and I having little chats (which are, mostly, strangely one sided...) and working on diagonal aids and balancing exercises. I sometimes forget what a lovely boy he is until I ride him - sure, he's a delightful pony to work with on the ground and be around, but when we have one of those rides where we're completely in tune and it's just us two in the world, or so it seems, I'm reminded of what an obliging, happy boy he is. He constantly tries to do as I ask, and doesn't get upset when I can't quite indicate enough what I'm asking for. I love that we're both learning together, and I'm too excited for words that soon he'll be in his new paddock with his new friend Altibo Bay, and we'll be able to GO OUTSIDE THE ARENA and trot happily along for as long as we both please in all the gorgeous trail rides around.

No comments:

Post a Comment